Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Parental victory

My kids do hilarious things sometimes. That's part of the reason I started doing this - half to remember the insanity of their toddler/preschool years and half to share it because it's too freaking funny not to.

Many times, it's the mental head-slap moments when my kids are repeating or mimicking me and Hubby gives me a raised eyebrow that says 1,000 words. A little less than a year ago, it was my television-watching habits that came back to haunt me. Here's what I'm talking about:

Parenting Fail - The News Edition

My kids are pretty observant. As soon as Nathaniel could say "choo-choo" he knew exactly where every set of tracks was near our house. He now knows all of the important stores in our life: Walmart, Target, Starbucks... ya know, the staples. He is a walking, talking game of 20 questions.

Both munchkins love cartoons, but we also watch a lot of Food Network, DIY, HGTV, Discovery and Science Channel. They are equally as likely to be zoned out on a weekend morning to Mickey Mouse as to How It's Made. What can I say, I married an engineer?

In my former life, current events and the goings-on of the world was pretty darn important. I still like to know what's happened in the real world, so our TV auto-tunes to the local news everyday at 5, and if I have my way, it stays on the same channel until the national news is over.

But obviously I need to start shuffling to CNN during the day, because my children - despite all my efforts - are lost.

Nathaniel was going to curl up on the couch with Hubby while I cleaned up from dinner. Hubby had switched to BBC America to watch "Top Gear" and a commercial showed a clip from an upcoming news program.

"Look Daddy, it's Dr. Phil," my beloved cherub said.

It was President Obama.

DOH! Mental head slap.

I don't know, you tell me... was he close?

 
 
Flash forward to tonight. 
 
Nathaniel and I were curled up on the couch, watching the "first" round of the NCAA tournament when the camera kept flashing over to the President (and Britain's Prime Minister). Nathaniel asked me to pay attention to the screen to see "this guy."
 
"Who is that, Mommy?"
 
"That's the President of the United States. President Obama."
 
"Omama?"
 
"Obama."
 
"Odama?"
 
"Obama."
 
 "Oh. Obama."

Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment