Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowstalgia

Snowtastrophe.

Snowpocalypse.

Snowmageddon.

Snowtorious B.I.G.

Lots of names for the 10-ish inches of snow that fell on my house over the last 24 hours. And while my winter weather vocabulary is a bit bigger now, I have learned only one important thing:

Snow sucks and blizzards blow.

(Ha! Get it? Sorry. I'm done now.)

Kids and I hid inside today while Hubby ignored a state of emergency to trek into work. I didn't think staying home with us was THAT bad...

Anyway. We'll be home again tomorrow. It won't be fun to explain why little guy misses show and tell day at preschool, but maybe if I let him overdose on Mario Kart it'll be OK. That's what snow days are for, right?

I have great memories of snow days growing up. That meant waking up on time for school to listen to my hometown's lone radio station, hoping against all hope to hear "John F. Kennedy, closed." I'd run back upstairs to bed for an hour or so.

When I finally dragged myself out of bed, I would settle in at the dining room table to help Nana with a puzzle and watch CNN. I always wanted my mom to stay home from work too, but that rarely happened. Darn work. But I didn't let it ruin my fun.

Blizzard of '93 in good ole PA
My favorite snow memory was the Blizzard of '93. It was March and my friends and I were having a sleepover at my friend Deborah's house for her birthday. We knew snow was coming, so as soon as it started we were in their front yard in our pajamas, laughing and throwing snowballs.

As soon as it was light enough, we were going to round up as many snow clothes as we could find (Deb has 4 siblings - it wasn't hard to do) and go sledding. I grew up in western PA so you don't have to look far to find a good hill (I lived at the bottom of three), but her backyard was ideal.

But my morning was brought to a screeching halt when my mom showed up early to pick me up. She had seen the forecast and was afraid if she waited any longer, she wouldn't be able to get across town to get me. The other parents came trooping in not far behind, so only Deb and her sisters got to enjoy the hill that day.

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, it says Pittsburgh got about 28 inches that weekend. I remember 3 ft and being off school for a week.

Nana and I got lots of puzzles done.

No comments:

Post a Comment