Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Negative Nancy

I haven't had much to say the last few days.

Wait. Scratch that. I've had a lot to say, but most of it involved being a major cranky pants. And not a funny cranky pants. A cranky cranky pants. Nobody wants to read that.

Every once in a while (and no, it's not just once a month, like I'm sure my husband would claim), I get a kink that I can't shake. And everything is tragic.

I've always been a serious person - even as a little girl. I would get so worked up and mad when my mom would joke with me to try to get me to lighten up. If I was in a mood, it would only make it worse.

I am hoping that the mood has passed now.

I'm pretty darn proud of the dinner I made last night (and reheated for lunch today). Yes, I caved and bought one of those ridiculous recipe cards with pre-measured spices. But the recipe sounded good and I will save the card forever!

Ok, I give it 3 months before it's lost.

Quesadilla casserole
1 lb ground beef
1/2 C. chopped onion
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn (8.75 oz)
1 can (4.5 oz) green chilies
6 flour tortillas (8-inch)
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

Brown beef and onion in large skillet on medium high heat; drain. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn, chilies; mix well. Stir in all of the spices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add red pepper to taste, if desired.

Spread 1/2 C. of beef mixture on bottom of 13x9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with 3 of the tortillas, overlapping as needed. Layer with 1/2 remaining beef mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef and cheese.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 min or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

*I did not use crushed red pepper because if I had, the only person in my house who would have eaten it was the hubby. I used ground turkey instead of beef (because I had it) and you really couldn't tell a difference. I had colby jack instead of cheddar and eyeballed about the same amount of frozen corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment