Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

An early Christmas

Another cake win... Go Diego Go
Sometimes it takes random days and actions to remind me how lucky I am. Where family is gone or far away, my life and my family's lives are filled with amazing people that create an extended "family." My living room was filled with non-relatives who took time to help celebrate a 4-year-old's birthday. I'm pretty sure a few were there for the cake.

I think every mom has a laundry list of people who have offered, at one time or another, to watch their kids. There are some that you actually believe, a few in the gray area, and always ones that are saying it to be polite. I very rarely consult that list. Not because I don't trust any of those people, but just because I feel like it should be for an emergency or at least a really good reason. I'm not sure why. Maybe a control issue? Or just knowing it's hard to repay the favor, so I better make it worth it.

Earlier this week, I had to run down that mental list not once, but twice. Weeks where we have concerts are always dicey, especially when our list of paid babysitters is practically non-existent. I called on one friend who loves my kids (and loves taking their pictures, consequently), but who I knew would not let me repay her in any way. I know. I've tried. I asked anyway. I'm not sure why, as an empty-nester, she had nothing better to do on a Friday night than hang out with a 4-year-old and an almost 2-year-old, but...

Nathaniel and Leah didn't even notice when I left and when I returned home a few hours later, they were tucked in bed and my kitchen was cleaner than when I left. I had to do a double take to make sure I was in the right house.

You see, "Snefanie" is practicing to be a grandma (in a few years, she says. Hope her girls are on the same timetable). I'd say she's off to a good start, but practice makes perfect, as they say. I think it should my job to make sure she's good and prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment