Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

The uncool Mom effect

Parents, moms especially, are embarrassing. It's a rule. It's part of our evolution: loving caregiver, favorite playmate, embarrassing adult, dumb and out of touch old person, and maybe someday, many years and gray hairs down the road, respected adult.

I was hoping to hang onto the first two phases with my kiddos for awhile longer. But apparently at the ripe old age of 3.5, Nathaniel finds me too embarrassing to deal with.

As soon as he started school, I started getting "ew" and "I don't want a kiss" at bedtime.

Not cool.

This is the same kid who, a few months ago, used to hang on me, beg me not to leave and repeat I love you with no hesitation. Sometimes he even needed more hugs and kisses.


He could melt my heart and he knew it.

He used to demand that I say hi to Dorothy and Elmo, and sing the theme song and dance. Everyday. When I started boogie-ing in my chair today, he looked at me, rolled his eyes and proceeded to fall off the couch in mortification. He laid there on the floor for a good 20 seconds for emphasis.

He *might* have inherited my flair for the dramatic. Maybe. Possibly.

I expect to get those crazy looks from Leah any day now, but I really thought I had longer with my boy. I figured maybe age 8 or 9, right around when girls start getting cooties. And since I'm a few years past 8, I'll have a really bad case.

But if this really is starting now, means I just get a lot more practice for when he's a teenager and I'm REALLY embarrassing and REALLY dumb. I will have it down to an art if I have 10 years!


Put two of my favorite groups together and I am in heaven - DMB covering the Beatles.


"In My Life"
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before,
I know I'll often stop and think about them,
In my life I'll love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment