Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My baby girl

This is my baby girl in her natural state - motion.


OK, so she just turned 2, has as big a vocabulary as her 4-year-old brother and is potty training. Not technically a baby, but still MY baby. I have said from the beginning she would give me gray hair from worrying about what she was climbing, getting into or otherwise figuring out way too fast.

After today, I'm going out to get the hair dye.

Both kids had their well-child visits today. Nathaniel and his two booster shot trauma is a story for another day. 

Once the doc was done checking over a surprisingly compliant boy child, Leah popped right up to have him check her. He looked in her mouth, ears and did that odd neck/throat check thingy. And then he did it again.

Insert eyebrow raise.

He went through his spiel, and almost as an afterthought he added, "Her thyroid is big."

Uh, excuse me? There's something wrong with my perfect little pigtailed girl? Well maybe. But he's not ready to be concerned yet.

So now we wait. In three months, we go back to check her height and weight. Blood tests may come later. But the worry will start now. 

The float nurse at her 18-month check up either didn't get an accurate measurement or she got shorter in the last 6 months. (My money is on the first one.) She is still on the growth chart, and is actually a little taller than her brother was at the same age. I checked her records and she's gained 4 pounds since her 15-month check up. I have no idea if that's good, bad or indifferent. 

Hence the worry. 

I started Googling as soon as we got home and didn't pry myself away from this blasted computer after lunch. Now that I vaguely know what a thyroid is supposed to do, no more good can come from medical web searching. I had a few good friends remind me of that fact today too. Thanks ladies. 

So I sit and wait. And randomly break into tears when my precious girl does something crazy smart, like ask Daddy at dinner if his 'chines are broken at work, or so very Leah, like trying to order a movie on satellite when the remote was left unattended. 



I'm not much for praying, but I might try that too.

1 comment:

  1. Praying can always help sis!! we know that she's doing fine based on her actions....but we'll wait to see what happens....remember we all love you!

    ReplyDelete