Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Waving the white flag

A plague descended on my house last weekend, while I wasn't looking. I have been fighting crazy allergy symptoms for a month now, so I figured that was it. I'm kinda getting used to being miserable.

Then Nathaniel started coughing.

And coughing. And coughing. With a crazy high fever. And then I got the crazy high fever. We were quite the pair.

This was me. Minus the teddy bear.
Maybe. 
We didn't leave the house Monday or Tuesday and spent a lot of time watching cartoons and laying on the couch. I have now seen the Imagination Movers in concert a dozen times. I can't ever get those hours back.

By Wednesday I figured we would both be feeling better.

I have never, ever been so wrong.

But as bad as I felt, I tried to drag myself through the shower to wash some of the stink off and get dressed for the day. (And by dressed I mean yoga pants and a sweatshirt. I know, a vision of loveliness at all times. That's how I roll.)

But every time I tried to stand up, the room started to spin and get fuzzy. I crawled out, wrapped in a towel and made my way to the bed, where I managed to get the phone to call Hubby without picking my head up off the pillow.

I'm sure he was thrilled to get a call 10 minutes after he got TO work telling him to jump in his car to drive 30 minutes BACK home. But the alternative would have been to leave the monkeys in charge of the zoo. No good can come from that.

It took every ounce of strength I had to shuffle downstairs, pour 2 cups of juice and 2 bowls of cereal and fill 2 animals' bowls before collapsing on the couch under the world's warmest and most awesomest quilt.

When Hubby walked in an hour later, I took said quilt and shuffled to our bed where it was quiet. The next thing I remember was looking at the clock that read 12:40 p.m. I haven't slept off a sick like that... well... I'm guessing middle school. I came downstairs for lunch and parked myself on the love seat. I proceeded to sleep through my darlings doing what they always do - everything at full volume.

Man, I needed that.

I thanked Hubby for rescuing me, which may seem unnecessary, but really, as a SAHM, there is nothing worse having well kids when you're sick. I don't get to cancel meetings and tell my bosses I'm sick. My "bosses" still expect 3 square meals, a minimum of 2 snacks, potty help or diaper changes, stories to be read, games to be played, and all in all, my undivided attention. When you can't lift your head upright without wanting to yak, that ain't happenin'.

Whenever I mention to other mom friends that one of my kids is coming down with something, they feel my pain and dread. Because there is no such thing as one person out of a house of four being the ONLY one to get sick.

Because now that Nathaniel and I are almost better, Leah has a fever. And a cough. We'll be couching and cartooning it tomorrow, too, to round out the week.

It'll be Daddy's turn to join us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment